Degrees and Certifications:
Miss Vina F. Danks
Vina Danks Middle School was originally called Ontario Junior High School and had 7th and 8th grade students. It was built in 1922-23 at its current site with 4th Street on the north, J Street on the south, and Vine Avenue on the west. Its first year of enrollment was the 1923-24 school year, with the first graduating class numbering 187 students. The front entrance of the school was facing J Street. Vina Francis Danks was the oringinal principal of Ontario Junior High School until her death due to a heart attack in 1938. Miss Danks taught at San Antonio School for several years before becoming the principal at San Antonio School in 1914. She remained the principal and 8th grade teacher at San Antonio School prior to her taking the principal position at Ontario Junior High School in 1923. Prior to her death, during the bad floods of 1938, Miss Danks took students home who were stranded, fed and housed them overnight and took them to school the next day. She soon came down with the flu, returned to school and suffered a heart attack on March 16, 1938. The Ontario Junior High School's name was changed in 1939 in honor of its former principal, to Vina F. Danks Junior High School. Because the main building was built prior to the earthquake standards adopted in California in the Field Act of 1933, it was torn down and a new main building was built in 1975 where the athletice fields used to be. The main entrance to the new building was now facing Vine Avenue instead of J Street. The site of the old school building was used to build handball and tennis courts. When the new building was opened in 1975, 6th grade was added to the school. In 1983, the name of the school was changed to Vina Danks Middle School.